[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Column width adjustment of wwho display

Column width adjustment of wwho display

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by WhiteWolf McBride   Canada  (2 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sat 05 May 2018 06:20 PM (UTC)

I've been about before, but not for a long while, so the answer for this might be idiotically obvious. For this I ask forgiveness. But here is my problem anyway.

I an on Tapestries, with a fully-up-to-date version of MushClient (5.05) and the annoying thing is a WS command has set column widths that often truncate longer sexual settings (name/idle/sex/species)

Is there something I need to run client-side to have this adjusted properly? There are alternate WWHO fornats available, but none allow for column width adjustment.

Severly frustrated,
WhiteWolf McBride
Resident WoofieMage.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Sun 06 May 2018 02:16 AM (UTC)
Sounds like a server-side thing to me. I assume you made the client width wider? Is the data truncated, or just so long that it doesn't display properly?

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by WhiteWolf McBride   Canada  (2 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Sun 06 May 2018 03:18 AM (UTC)

Amended on Sun 06 May 2018 03:26 AM (UTC) by WhiteWolf McBride

I'm not sure how to adjust the display for that in MushClient, and have been told by a wizard that he doubts it can be adjusted muck-side. I ~have~ set the width of the whole display so its got lots of room (120 columns) so it seems like its set on their side...

I just copied a few lines of a WS into Notepad, so I could see the display in a set-width font. Here is what I discovered.

(name=21 char + 1 space)(sex=9 char max + 1 space)(species)

- idle time is placed 2 spaces before sex, and subtracts from the name buffer. Eg. Idle of 12m would allow only 16 spaces for a name. ('Name'=16 + space + '12m' + 2space)

- if their sexual designation is more than 9 chars, it gets truncated to 9 chars. Eg. 'Effeminate male' would be chopped to 'effeminat'.

Can I intercept the data and have MushClient adjust the columns? Or do I have to beg the wizards to tweak the column widths?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Sun 06 May 2018 05:37 AM (UTC)
If the data isn't being sent, then there is no way you can display it, except maybe looking for specific words like that and replacing them.

Maybe there is a MUCK configuration option you can use to widen the columns. I don't know why the wizard would say it can't be adjusted if they are specifically truncating it. They are probably doing a print with widths limited so the columns don't get out of line.

Maybe you can go about it another way, for example getting people's sexual designation another way (eg. some other command), store that in a table somewhere, and then re-assemble the WHO output by discarding their column and substituting yours.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

9,268 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]