[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Windows 10 Graphical Bugs

Windows 10 Graphical Bugs

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by SierraK   (8 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Thu 10 May 2018 04:20 PM (UTC)

Amended on Thu 10 May 2018 04:47 PM (UTC) by SierraK

Hi! I'm running version 5.01 on Windows 10 Professional, with an i7 3770k, ATI RX 460, and 16GB RAM. Edit: I thought it might be important for me to include that I'm running MUSHclient out of my Dropbox folder, not %/programs32. I've also tried later versions and it does not solve the issue.

I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, mostly against my will, and have found it doesn't seem to like MUSHclient very much. None of Windows 10's "styles" are applied to it, which means that all of my MUSHclient window borders (Main windows and spawn windows) are bright white/Windows XP Sky Blue, while the rest of the theme is dark gray/black/navy. While visually distracting, it isn't the end of the world.

If I use the accessibility high-contrast themes, I can fix this and it is not an issue. This is something that I've been tracking down and trying to fix and believe it is a "feature" of Windows 10. The registry can be edited to change some of the high-contrast colors in the accessibility section of Windows 10, but it's a little beyond my ability and there's no way to check if what I've done has worked without constant login/logoffs.

I have tried using WindowBlinds to correct the problem, and it causes very interesting results (The title bar for the program takes up the entire screen on reboot, after appearing to work fine before reboot). I have had success in unifying UI elements under Litestep, but that has its own issues.

Additionally, while I have Windows 10 themes active, mousing over a line and waiting in MUSHclient does not produce a time/date stamp tooltip (Previously, this was the case, and I use it extensively). Without Windows 10 theming, it works perfectly fine.

I would prefer to use Windows without their themes active, however, it seems I'm in something of a sophie's choice - Either MUSHclient will run fine and every other program will have horrible "Accessibility" colors (Yes, I've tried changing the colors; I can't change the elements that need to be changed, because Windows 10) that make reading things on the internet or in Office next to impossible, or everything but MUSHclient runs as it should.

I've chosen the latter, but I did want to bring this up to y'all. I didn't see it specifically addressed in the patch notes for 5.2-5.4 and the github versions do not solve this problem, either.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Thu 10 May 2018 09:45 PM (UTC)
I don't do much or any development on Windows 10. I actually use Ubuntu and do my MUSHclient testing in VirtualBox. That seems to compile and run fine, and everything to do with MUSHclient works fine.

I actually have Windows XP as my host in VirtualBox. Is that possible for you? Or even a later version, but not as late as Windows 10.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Fiendish   USA  (2,514 posts)  [Biography] bio   Global Moderator
Date Reply #2 on Thu 10 May 2018 11:37 PM (UTC)
I don't know anything about windows 10 styles, but I do know that a lot of people use MUSHclient in Windows 10 without any issues. But I'll ask around on Aardwolf to see if anyone else has seen this happening and has any suggestions.

https://github.com/fiendish/aardwolfclientpackage
[Go to top] top

Posted by Renny   Canada  (26 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Fri 11 May 2018 (UTC)

I have 'Show accent color on title bars' checked in display settings. I know I did a handful of registry tweaks when I installed win10 (mostly telemetry related).
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Fri 11 May 2018 12:48 AM (UTC)
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb773175(v=vs.85).aspx

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Thu 17 May 2018 04:51 AM (UTC)

I don't do much or any development on Windows 10. I actually use Ubuntu and do my MUSHclient testing in VirtualBox. That seems to compile and run fine, and everything to do with MUSHclient works fine.

I actually have Windows XP as my host in VirtualBox. Is that possible for you? Or even a later version, but not as late as Windows 10.

I have no real experience with setting up virtual machines, unfortunately, and had I my way, I wouldn't be using Windows 10. I think I remember seeing better UI options from GEM desktop back on DOS 6.1.

Here's a sample of what I'm talking about: The main title bar is the correct color, but child windows do not display the right colors:

https://gyazo.com/da104afd85f9e030bb98fb6108dba646

If there's a way that that can be changed through some setting that I'm just failing to see, or through some sort of plugin (I've managed to do all sorts of things like remove scroll bars, etc), if someone could point me in the right direction of what functions I should look for that would be perfect. If that's even a possibility.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Thu 17 May 2018 09:57 PM (UTC)

Amended on Thu 17 May 2018 10:00 PM (UTC) by Fiendish

Adding more to this, the consensus around Aardwolf seems to be that this probably hits everyone using Windows 10 (possibly because of details coered in the link I posted), but the ones who replied in the affirmative didn't think it was worth reporting. Of course, most of them don't think that a daily system crash preventable by swinging a chicken over their head three times every night at midnight is worth reporting either, so, grain of salt and all that.

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Fri 18 May 2018 07:16 AM (UTC)

Adding more to this, the consensus around Aardwolf seems to be that this probably hits everyone using Windows 10 (possibly because of details coered in the link I posted),

Thank you! I know there's a way to change them; If I come upon a solution, I'll be sure to post back here. I knew it couldn't just be me! Thank you again for checking around, I appreciate it.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Mon 21 May 2018 11:28 PM (UTC)
Wanted to update this, as I've done some more digging, and I don't believe that this is something that can be changed by end users.

I managed to track down the registry entries which control application color:

https://gyazo.com/fbad6aa926a52bf5c1172fe2eb2163ee

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control_Panel\Colors
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control_Panel\Desktop\Colors
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control_Panel\Colors

After editing all three of these to be uniform and remove all instances of any blue highlighting, I restarted my computer. Upon restart, I noticed the changes in all of my applications except for MUSHclient. I believe that this confirms your earlier thoughts, Fiendish, but I am not incredibly confident in my conclusions.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

17,549 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]