- For Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT, Windows
2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 10
- For notes about using under Wine (Linux) see below
- For notes about installing under Windows 7 see How to install MUSHclient on Windows 7 (similar remarks apply to Windows 10)
- For best results under recent versions of Windows install MUSHclient into a directory to which you have write access such as your Documents directory (not Program Files).
- MUSHclient is FreeWare
- MUSHclient is provided "as is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including but not limited to the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and noninfringement. In no event shall the authors or copyright holders be liable for any claim, damages or other liability, whether in an action of contract, tort or otherwise, arising from, out of or in connection with the software or the use or other dealings in the software.
Want the very latest version?
The version shown on this page is considered the latest stable version. That is, it has been released for a while with no major bugs reported.
However often more recent versions are available on the MUSHclient Announcements part of
the Forum. Follow that link to see if there is a more recent version announced. Look for a thread with a heading like "Version 5.xx released".
Newly-released versions are often quite stable, unless they were released only yesterday, in which case there might not have been time for bug reports
to filter in.
MD5 sum for the download
If you do an md5sum on mushclient506.exe you should get this result:
The forum post a small script to sumcheck the MUSHclient download shows how you can write a small script in MUSHclient to do the sumcheck.
- Versions 3.21 (and higher) support XML world file format (for when you save a session), and support MUSHclient plugins (separate files which MUSHclient developers can distribute to add extra functionality).
- Files saved by version 3.21 onwards are not compatible with earlier versions of MUSHclient (that is, version 3.20 and earlier).
- MUSHclient version 3.85 (onwards) no longer reads the old "binary" world files produced by versions prior to 3.21. For more information about this please read the forum post Version 3.85 no longer supports world files created prior to version 3.21 - this post has recommendations about how to upgrade your world files if you are upgrading from a version earlier than 3.21.
- If you are upgrading from a version prior to 3.21 then you will need to download an interim version, for example: http://www.gammon.com.au/files/mushclient/mushclient384.exe (1.82 Mb). Use that to open your world files, and then re-save in XML format. That is, just open each world file, and save it. Then version 3.85 onwards will be able to read that world file.
- You are strongly advised to backup (make a copy of) your existing MUSHclient world files before upgrading to version 3.21 or higher.
- Version 4.12 onwards allow for localization (that is, translating resources such as menus, and various messages, into different languages). For more details about the internationalization effort, read the How to localize MUSHclient messages into other languages forum posting.
Warning about Lua 5.1 upgrade
MUSHclient version 3.80 upgraded the Lua script engine from Lua 5.0.2 to 5.1.1. If you are upgrading to this version from an earlier version than 3.80, you should read Version 3.80 released - with Lua 5.1 script engine - this post has recommendations about what is required if you use Lua scripting or Lua plugins.
You can view the release notes for version 4.94
Many frequently-encountered problems are discussed on the MUSHclient FAQ forum posting. Please read that before reporting difficulties.
We have had some success running MUSHclient under Wine (Wine Is Not an Emulator) - a system for running Windows program under Linux.
Our most recent successful test has been with wine-1.0.1.
If you have problems with MUSHclient crashing when trying to open a Notepad window, try upgrading Wine to version 1.0.1 or higher.
Alternatively, go into "Configure Wine" and set the Windows Version to Windows 98.
MUSHclient has a "/wine" command-line option that you can try if you have problems starting MUSHclient under Wine. This disables some of the COM (Component Object Model) calls, and disables scripting. Lua scripting is still available, even with "/wine" specified. However, our most recent test has MUSHclient running successfully without using the /wine option.
Wine can be obtained from http://www.winehq.org/.
See: for some more tips about recent attempts to run MUSHclient under Wine.
Other files you can download for use with MUSHclient
The files below are useful utilities as mentioned in various forum posts:
- G15_Display.zip - DLL for use with the Logitech G15 gamers keyboard (45 Kb).
See forum thread How to use the Logitech G15 gamers keyboard with MUSHclient.
- lua5.1.zip - Standalone version of Lua 5.1 (lua5.1.exe) and the DLL required to run it (lua5.1.dll). The DLL itself ships with the MUSHclient download. (129 Kb)
- lua5.1_lib.zip - lua5.1.lib for linking against your own DLLs that you write, plus the Lua 5.1 include files (luaconf.h, lua.h, lauxlib.h and lualib.h) which are needed for writing them. Only download this if you are planning to write your own DLLs. (17 Kb)
- luac5.1.zip - Lua 5.1 compiler (stand-alone program) called luac5.1.exe. You only need this if you want to make Lua "object" files. (102 Kb)
- mysql.zip - Lua SQL package for use with MySQL databases, compiled to run with Lua 5.1 (27 Kb).
See forum thread Accessing a MySQL database from MUSHclient.
- libmySQL.zip - the mysql.dll (in mysql.zip) has a dependency on this DLL, so you may need this file as well to access a MySQL database (662 Kb).
- odbc.zip - Lua SQL package for use with ODBC databases, compiled to run with Lua 5.1 (27 Kb).
See forum thread Lua, MS Access databases?.
Warning! - some of the forum threads mentioned above also have links to downloading files of the same name, but these are generally for older versions of MUSHclient which used Lua 5.0. The files on this page are the correct ones to use with the version of MUSHclient which you download here (which uses Lua 5.1).
MD5 sums for the above files:
Comments to Gammon Software support
Page updated on Friday, 29th March 2019.